- This event has passed.
Duplication and Replication in QM training
18th April 2018 @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
|Organised by||The University of Edinburgh|
|Presenter||Professor Vernon Gayle, Professor Sociology and Social Statistics, The University of Edinburgh
Dr Nicole Janz, Assistant Professor, School of Politics and International Relations, University of Nottingham
Professor John MacInnes, Professor of Sociology, The University of Edinburgh
|Venue||Room 5.04, Charteris Land, Moray House School of Education, Holyrood Road, Edinburgh|
|Map||View in Google Maps (EH8 8AQ)|
0131 651 3001
Working Week: Monday-Wednesday
|Description||This one-day training event will be concerned with how students (both undergraduate and postgraduate) and early career researchers learn about reproducibility in quantitative research. It will cover
1. What reproducibility is and why it is important, how they should form part of any research report or publication, and review the shift in journal standards towards requiring data and code as well as ‘results’
2. How reproducibility can be used as a teaching method at undergraduate level, where students duplicate some or all of the data management and analysis in a publication.
3. How replication can be integrated into the quantitative methods curriculum in the social sciences at PG level, having students take a research finding and test it with different data sources.
The event is aimed at people who deliver quantitative methods training, both lecturers and tutors, and other colleagues involved in the development of the quantitative methods curriculum. As the Q-step initiative becomes established and has wider effects, the event will aim to learn from best practice as that develops – and also to learn through cases where attempts to teach replication have not worked so well (assuming that people are prepared to share these).
Course Timings: 9.30am-4.30pm
|Level||Intermediate (some prior knowledge)|
|Cost||£30 per day for UK/EU registered students
• £60 per day for staff at UK/EU academic institutions, UK/EU Research Councils researchers, UK/EU public sector staff and staff at UK/EU registered charity organisations and recognised UK/EU research institutions.
• £220 per day for all other participants
All fees include event materials, lunch, morning and afternoon tea. They do not include travel and accommodation costs.
Cancellation Policy: Please be reminded that you will be charged the full registration fee if you cancel your place within 4 weeks before the training delivery date or you fail to attend.
If you are able to fill the place on the course you are cancelling then the cancellation charge will not apply
|Website and registration|
|Keywords||Data Management , Duplication , , , , Replication , , , , Reproducibility , , , , Research Design , , , , Data enabling , , , , Training trainers , , , , Pedagogy , , ,|
|Related publications and presentations||Data Managemen|